- Statistics, Doctorate, London School of Economics and Political Science, 2007
- Statistics, MSc, University of Warwick, 2001
- Statistics, BSc, Middle East Technical University. 1999
Academic and Professional Experience:
- September 2020-current. Associate Professor at Department of Statistics, Middle East Technical University
- November 2019-current. Academic Director of the Institute of Civil Protection and Emergency Management (ICPEM), UK.
- October 2019-current. Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA), UK.
- February 2020-current. Editorial Board Member of the journal ‘Disasters’
- July 2019-August 2020. Course Director of MSc Disaster Management and Resilience (on campus), Coventry University, United Kingdom.
- April 2019-August 2020. Research Associate at the Centre for Trust, Peace and Social Relations (CTPSR) Coventry University, United Kingdom.
- Aug.2018-August 2020. Lecturer in Disaster, Risk and Resilience, School of Energy, Construction and Environment, Coventry University, United Kingdom.
- Sept. 2008-June 2018. Director of the Middle East Technical University, Disaster Management Implementation and Research Center, Ankara, Turkey.
- Oct. 2015-June 2018 Associate Professor at Department of Statistics, Middle East Technical University
- May 2014-July 2015 Senior Consultant in an NSF project titled ‘Sociotechnical Systems under Stress: May 13, 2014 Soma, Turkey Mine Fire’.
- Sept. 2005-June 2018 Program Coordinator of the World Bank Institute Distance Learning Natural Disaster Risk Management Program: Turkey.
- Feb. 2015 – May 2015. Team member of UNICEF Syrian Refugee Response Evaluation.
- Jan. 2014 – current. Affiliated Faculty, Understanding and Managing Extremes Graduate School, Risk and Emergency Management program at the Instituto Universitario di Studi Superiori di Pavia, Italy.
- June 2014 – Nov. 2014. Expert for the Turkish Grand National Assembly (TBMM) in Soma Mine Accident Investigation Commission, Ankara, Turkey.
- June 2013 - June 2014. Risk Financing and Disaster Management Specialist, Short-term consultant, World Bank, Washington D.C. USA.
- Sept. 2009-current Affiliated Faculty of Actuarial Sciences at the Institute of Applied Mathematics, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey.
- Disaster risk management
- Disaster risk reduction
- Disaster and/or development
- STAT 155 - PRINCIPLES OF STATISTICS (Fall 2020)
- STAT 365- SURVEY SAMPLING TECHNIQUES (Fall 2020)
- Identifying Non-adopter Consumer Segments: An Empirical Study on Earthquake Insurance Adoption in Turkey
Basbug Erkan, B., Adiguzel, F., Yozgatligil, C. & Kleijnen, M., 1 Jun 2019, In : THE JOURNAL OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS.
53, 2, p. 662-685 24 p.
- Üniversite Öğrencilerinin Kütüphanelerle İlgili Yönelimleri Ve Korumaya İlişkin Tutumlari: Afyon Kocatepe Üniversitesi
İslami İlimler Fakültesi Örneği Kuzucuoglu, A., Solmaz, U., Basbug Erkan, B. & Damar, A., 30 Dec 2018, In : International peer-reviewed Journal of Communication and Humanities Research. 21, p. 19-35 17 p.
- Preferences for Earthquake Risk–Mitigation Mechanisms: Experimental Evidence Dinc Cavlak, O., Ozdemir, O. & Basbug Erkan, B., 31 Aug 2018, In : Natural Hazards Review. 19, 3
- Afet Ekonomisi ve Sigorta
Basbug Erkan, B., 2018, Turkiye’nin Afet Yonetimi Sosyal, Siyasal ve Yonetim Boyutuyla . Palme Publishing House
Dunyadan Afet Yonetimi Sistemi Ornekleri
- Basbug Erkan, B., 2017, AFET YONETIMI II. Anadolu University Press
- Risk, Profit, or Safety: Sociotechnical Systems under Stress Basbug Erkan, B., Ertan, G., Yeo, J. & Comfort, L., Oct 2016, In : Safety Science. 88, p. 199-210 12 p.
- The Shift From Healer State to Protector State in a 500-year Period: A Critical Evaluation of Painful Development
Struggles in Legal and Administrative Understanding of Disaster Management Strategies in Turkey from 1509 to 2010
Basbug Erkan, B. & Ozden, T., 12 May 2016, Asian Law in Disasters Toward a Human-Centered Recovery. Kaneko, Y.,
Matsuoka, K. & Toyoda, T. (eds.). 1 ed. London: Routledge, 26 p.
- Surdurulebilir Kalkinma Sorunsali Uzerinden Afet-Kalkinma Terminolojisinin Turkiye Ozelinde Yeniden Tartisilmasi
Basbug Erkan, B. & Ozden, T., 2016, Afetlerle Kalkinma Tecrubeler, Politikalar ve Beklentiler. Tiyakioglu, M. (ed.). Efil
Publishing Company, p. 219-264 46 p.
- An Independent Evaluation of UNICEF’s Response to the Syrian Refugee Crisis in Turkey, 2012–2015
Basbug Erkan, B., Darcy, J., Durston, S., Ballarin, F., Buker, H. & Duncalf, J., Nov 2015, UNICEF.
- Successes and Failures of Compulsory Risk Mitigation: Re-evaluating the Turkish Catastrophe Insurance Pool
Basbug Erkan, B. & Yilmaz, O., Oct 2015, In : Disasters. 39, 4, p. 782-794 13 p.
- An Overview of Insurance and Mining Sector in Turkey
Basbug Erkan, B., 9 Feb 2015, The Turkish Insurance and Pension Newsletter, 20, p. 3.
- From Emergency Response to Recovery: Multiple Impacts and Lessons Learned from 2011 Van Earthquakes
Basbug Erkan, B., Karanci, N., Kalaycıoğlu, S., Ozden, T., Çalışkan, I. & Özakşehir, G., Feb 2015, In : Earthquake
Spectra. 31, 1, p. 527-540 14 p.
- The Turkish Catastrophe Insurance Pool
Basbug Erkan, B., 17 Nov 2014, The Turkish Insurance and Pension Newsletter, 14, p. 5-6 2 p.
- Aciklamali Afet Terimleri Sozlugu
Basbug Erkan, B., Nov 2014, Turkish Disaster and Emergency Management Authority.
- Probabilistic Earthquake Hazard Assessment of Ankara and its Environs
Basbug Erkan, B. & Ozmen, B., 16 Jul 2014, In : Turkish Journal of Earth Sciences. 23, p. 462-474 13 p.
- Risk Analysis Based on Spatial Analysis of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) With Respect to Provinces in
Turkey Ciftci, S., Duzgun, S. & Basbug Erkan, B., 15 Mar 2014, In : Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics. 259, Part B, p. 413-424 12 p.
- The relationship between nonspecific inflammation markers and computerized tomography imaging in non-traumatic acute
abdomen, Kozaci, N., Oguzhan Ay, M., Cetinkunar, S., Soker, G., Basbug Erkan, B., Celikdemir, A., Acehan, S., Gulen, M. & Satar, S., 2014, In : Acta Medica Mediterranea. 30, p. 447-452 6 p.
- Is there any relationship between the nonspecific inflammation markers and the presence of pathological findings
determined in the abdominalpelvic CT scans of the patients with nontraumatic acute abdominal pain?
Basbug Erkan, B., Kozaci, N., Ay, M. O., Cetunkunar, S., Soker, G., Celikdemir, A. & Satar, S., Sep 2013, p. 50.
- Guvenli Yasamak: Afetlerden Korunmayi Ogreniyoruz
Basbug Erkan, B. & Tezgider, G., 2013, Middle East Technical University Disaster Management Centre.
- Personality, posttraumatic stress and trauma type: factors contributing to posttraumatic growth and its domains in a
Turkish community sample Karanci, N., Isikli, S., Aker, A. T., Gul, E. I., Basbug Erkan, B., Ozkol, H. & Guzel, H. Y., 5 Jun 2012, In : European Journal of Psychotraumatology. 3, 1
- A critical review of new disaster management system in Turkey
Basbug Erkan, B. & Ozmen, B., Apr 2012, p. 226-227. 2 p.
- Afet Terimleri, Afet Risk Azaltimi, Afet Ekonomisi
Basbug Erkan, B., 2012, Okul Tabanli Afet Egitimi Ogretmen El Kitabi. p. 307-320
- IMPROVING THE ASSESSMENT OF DISASTER RISKS TO STRENGTHEN FINANCIAL RESILIENCE: Disaster Risk
Management in Turkey Basbug Erkan, B. & Gulkan, P., 2012, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / International Development. 223 p.
- Turkiye’de Travmatik Yasam Olaylari ve Ruhsal Etkileri
Basbug Erkan, B., Karanci, N. & Isikli, S., 2012, Matus Yayimevi